Postgraduate Programmes

The division of  Theatre & Performance (formerly Dramatic Arts) in the Wits School of Arts offers the following postgraduate degrees: B.A. Honours in Drama and Film (B.A. Hons), Postgraduate Diploma in Arts (PGDA), Master’s Degree in Dramatic Art (M.A. Dramatic Art), Ph.D. by Dissertation, Ph.D. by Dissertation and Creative Project.


In addition to the M.A. by Dissertation and Ph.D., in 2015 DODA will offer Honours and Master’s courses in the following fields of study:


B.A. Honours in Drama and Film

Performance Studies


Design Studies


Media Studies

Film Studies

Performing Arts Management


Master’s courses that can be taken towards the MA in Dramatic Art (MADA) or as electives by students registered for a Master’s degree in other divisions or schools are as follows:

Media Studies: ‘Bodies & Technoscapes’

Media Studies: ‘Fandom and Participatory Media Cultures’

Film Studies: ‘Youth and Hollywood Cinema’

Critical Theory and Cultural Studies


Postgraduate Co-ordinator: Dr. Benita de Robillard  (011) 717 4647

Admission Requirements

Admission requirements (in addition to the application form):

  • Bachelor of Arts in Dramatic Arts, or a Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Drama and Film, or equivalent.
  • A minimum of 65% in the final year of the BADA or BA Hons.
  • An official academic record/transcript
  • A letter of reference
  • a CV
  • a letter of motivation
  • a preliminary proposal (500-1000 words)

Applications must be accompanied by a letter of motivation, and a 500-1000 word preliminary proposal detailing both the proposed research topic and the creative project. Submission of such proposal should be made prior to the audition/interview in order to facilitate the identification of supervisors.




Masters by Research/PhD students and staff wanting to conduct research at the University needs a formal letter of approval from the Deputy Registrar’s Office. In order to obtain the required approval students/staff please need to complete the Request to conduct research form.

The form and required documentation must be emailed to Chantal Wilson ( in the Deputy Registrar’s Office.